Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 23 - No More Tears

Overview of: Revelation

Today's Reading:

Rev. 21:1 – 22:5
"The New Jerusalem"

Focus Verses:
Revelation 12:10
1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." 5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Insight:
The surprising hope of the gospel is that God has promised to one day make all things new. Jesus' prayer--"your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven"--will be granted. Earth and heaven will be one; God's dwelling place will be here with us; every tear will be wiped away; there will be no more death or crying or pain. This is the glorious promise of God, who has called us to the hope of resurrection and eternal life through faith in Christ Jesus.

Response and Action:
I will place all my trust and hope in Christ Jesus. My life and purpose in this world will be shaped by the redemptive purpose and promise of Jesus. I will do all I can to draw near to God, to meditate on the Scriptures, to follow in the steps of Jesus, and to enter into his redeeming and saving work in my world.

O God, help me to live in the transforming power of the Spirit who raised Christ from the dead. Help me to live each day in the glorious hope and promise of resurrection and eternal life. Grant me the wisdom and perseverance to follow the Lamb wherever he leads. Amen, even so, come Lord Jesus.

When Christ shall come will shout of acclamation,
To heal this world, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I will bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, "My God, how great you are!"


Old Testament for Today:
Psalm 116:7-9
7 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. 8 For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, 9 that I may walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
In Context: Psalm 116

Proverb for Today: Prov. 23:17-18

"Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off."

Recommended Reading:

Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church
by N. T. Wright