Thursday, August 28, 2008

August 28 - The Theme of My Song

The new Useful Breath reading schedule will begin on Monday, September 15, 2008. Please invite friends and family to join us as we read through the Bible once again.

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. Until then, our daily readings will be centered on the importance of Scripture in our lives. Keep reading!


Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Psalm 119:33 - 56
"Remembering God and His Word"

Focus Verses:
Psalm 119:50-55
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. 51 The arrogant mock me without restraint, but I do not turn from your law. 52 I remember your ancient laws, O LORD, and I find comfort in them. 53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law. 54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. 55 In the night I remember your name, O LORD, and I will keep your law.

Insight:
The psalmist found God's Word to be a source of encouragement and hope in every circumstance, place, or time. In suffering, God's promises preserved and sustained him. In the face of mocking and wickedness, God's ancient laws gave comfort and direction. Whether at home or traveling, God's decrees were like a song in his heart. Night or day, the Word filled his thoughts and brought the Lord's name to mind.

Response and Action:
Reading and meditating on God's Word makes me ready to face every situation. It makes me able to remember who God is, what he has commanded, and what he has promised. No matter what my circumstance, no matter where I am, no matter what time of day it is, God's Word will sustain me, direct me, put a song in my heart, and bring to mind thoughts of God and his goodness.

O God, I long for your Word. Help me to hide it in my heart that it might sustain and direct me everyday, everywhere, and in every circumstance. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:17

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Recommended Resource:
Can I Trust the Bible?
by Darrell L. Bock