Friday, August 29, 2008

August 29 - Finding My Way

The new Useful Breath reading schedule will begin on Monday, September 15, 2008. Please invite friends and family to join us as we read through the Bible once again.

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. Until then, our daily readings will be centered on the importance of Scripture in our lives. Keep reading!


Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Psalm 119:57 - 80
"God's Direction"

Focus Verses:
Psalm 119:59, 73
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes. - - - 73 Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands.

Insight:
Living according to God's Word is sensible! In verses 59 and 73, the psalmist gives two very practical reasons for doing so. First (v. 59), he considered the ways he was out of step with the instruction of Scripture and decided that living by God's statutes had better results. Secondly (v.73), he concludes that since God was his maker, God's commands would be the best guidance he could get.

Response and Action:
First, I need to give consideration to my ways. How would my life be better if I turned my steps to follow the instruction of the Bible? What difficulties and burdens in life are the result of failing to follow God? Secondly, since God is my maker, I need to trust him to know what is best for me. Doesn't it make sense to listen to my creator?

O God, show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and lead me. Teach, rebuke, correct, and train me through the wisdom of your inspired and useful Word. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 29:18

"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law."

Recommended Resource:
How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth
by Gordon D. Fee