Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 18 - A Critical Kindness

Overview of: PSALMS

Today's Reading:
Psalms 140 – 143

Focus Verses: Psalm 141:3-5a
3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips. 4 Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me not eat of their delicacies. 5a Let a righteous man strike me—it is a kindness; let him rebuke me—it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it.

Insight:
The wisdom to accept correction and criticism demonstrates maturity and teachability. David was certainly not without sin, but he had a genuine desire to turn away from sin and a readiness to recognize his own failures. He understood that the "delicacies" of falling in with the wicked were a temptation and snare. He understood that the life he desired would require help from God, personal resolve, and the support/accountability of righteous friends. Because he had a heart to live a righteous life, he was able to see rebuke as a blessing and corrective discipline as a kindness.

Response and Action:
I want to live a righteous life that brings honor to God, blessing to others, and deep fulfillment to me. I will need to seek God's help and guidance. I will need to be on guard against the false, but tempting "pleasures" that could draw me toward evil. I will need to live with resolve and exert personal effort. I must humbly acknowledge my failings and weaknesses. I must be teachable and willing to receive rebuke and correction as I read the Scriptures and as I interact with others who are pursuing righteousness.

O God, lead me away from what is wrong and help me to do what is right. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart. Help me to recognize the fraudulent emptiness of the temptations toward evil. Give me the humility to learn, to receive rebuke, to accept correction, and to be trained in righteousness. Make me ready to do every good thing you have in mind for me to do. Bring godly and genuine friends into my life that we might be a strength and help for each other as together we seek you with our whole hearts. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 18:12
"Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor."

New Testament for Today: 2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
In Context: 2 Timothy 3:10-17

Recommended Reading:
Renovation of the Heart
by Dallas Willard