Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19 - Telling My Story

Overview of: PSALMS

Today's Reading:
Psalms 144 – 146

Focus Verses: Psalm 145:2-6
2 Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. 3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. 4 One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. 5 They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works. 6 They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds.

Insight:
The ideas, beliefs, and hopes of every generation are shaped and informed by those who have gone before them. If God is good and faithful, there ought to be some stories and testimonies to inspire. If God has done mighty and wonderful things, there ought to be some songs and souvenirs to show for it. If God's greatness is more than anyone can fathom, surely there will be a storehouse of letters, speeches, poems, prayers, and books written by those who have tried to communicate the blessing and wonder they have experienced in their lives.

Response and Action:
I am thankful for the testimony of those who have experienced God's grace and glory. I am grateful for the stories of God's power and presence that have been handed down to me through the Scriptures and the pages of church history. I am especially thankful for the family and friends and teachers in my life who have given personal witness to God's work and blessing in their lives.

I need to tell my story and share my faith with my children and grandchildren. I need to speak of God's blessing and kindness to me. My life, my attitude, my actions, and my words may be more important and meaningful to others than I realize. Recounting God's faithfulness to me, and giving him praise, may be the most important ways for me to give witness to his goodness. My story may be vital to the faith and hope of someone following in my footsteps.

O God, give me the eyes to see your faithfulness to me. Give me a heart and mind that are ready to praise and worship you for your mighty deeds. Give me a tongue that is filled with stories of your goodness. Help me to declare your truth and your goodness to my children and their children. Help them to trust in you because they see, in my life, a testimony of your trustworthiness. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 19:8
"He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; he who cherishes understanding prospers."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 3:20-21
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
In Context: Ephesians 3

Recommended Reading:
Character Witness: How Our Lives Can Make a Difference in Evangelism
by Christine Wood