Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25 - Nourishing Words

Overview of: Proverbs

Today's Reading:
Proverbs 10 - 14

Focus Verses: Proverbs 10:18-21
18 He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool. 19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. 20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value. 21 The lips of the righteous nourish many, but fools die for lack of judgment.

Insight:
Understanding the importance and power of the things we say is essential to wise living. There are many verses in Proverbs that address the motives, the attitudes, the care, the restraint, and the choice of our words. Lies and slander destroy. Instead of talking something to death, it sometimes makes more sense to just keep silent. A few carefully chosen words are more precious than silver, but careless words that spring from a wicked attitude are worthless. It's deadly to speak without exercising good judgment, but wise words from a righteous perspective are nourishing and life-giving for all who hear them.

Response and Action:
I want to be careful about the way I use my mouth. Failure to exercise care and restraint can be very damaging to others and to myself. Thoughtfully choosing my words can be helpful and enriching to others. I will judge what to say, how to say it, and when to say it by the righteous example of Christ and the sound counsel of Scripture. I will seek wisdom and exercise care in the things I say, understanding that my mouth has the power to cause great harm or great good.

O God, may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart bring honor to you. Give me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart and to control my tongue. Give me the heart and the discernment to speak life in a dying world. Help me to bless, and not curse. Help me to nourish, and not injure. Help me to speak truth and encouragement, and not slander. Help me to speak words of life from a Jesus-shaped heart as I seek him and his righteousness. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 4:29

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
In Context: Ephesians 4:17-5:21

Recommended Reading:
How to Read Proverbs
by Tremper Longman