Saturday, February 24, 2007

February 24 - Firm to the End

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Chronicles 32 - 33
N.T. - Hebrews 3

Focus Verses:
Hebrews 3:1, 12-14
1Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess. … 12See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

Insight:
The Hebrew writer encourages his Christian readers to fix their thoughts on Jesus, and to hold firmly to him in faith to the end. He warns them to not turn away from faith in the living God, and uses the story of the children of Israel wandering in the wilderness to illustrate his point. Their bodies fell in the desert, and they never entered into the promise land because of their unbelief.

More than just a warning, the Hebrew writer suggests two things we can do to cultivate enduring faith. 1) We must focus on Jesus. We should immerse ourselves in everything the scriptures tell us about Jesus -- his words, his actions, his promises, his mission, his teaching, his commands, his example, and his call to us. 2) We must be part of a Christian community that encourages and admonishes us in faith. We should seize every opportunity to stimulate and inspire each other toward a deeper knowledge and experience of Christ. We should also be able to help each other identify and turn away from the deceitfulness of sin.

Response and Action:
I will fix my thoughts on Jesus. I will seek him in the company of faithful friends. I will study and meditate on the Scriptures. I will look to other followers of Jesus to encourage me in my faith. I will be on guard against the deceitfulness of sin, and listen to the wise warnings and rebukes of my Christian friends. I will do all I can to encourage others to know and follow Jesus. I will look for opportunities to encourage others in their faith.

O God, you are my God, and I will ever praise you. I will seek you in the morning. I will learn to walk in your ways. Lead me step by step that I might follow you all of my days. Amen.

Proverbs: 24:14
"Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off."

Resources:
Following Jesus in the "Real World": Discipleship for the Post-College Years
by Richard Lamb