Wednesday, February 07, 2007

February 7 - On the Job

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Chronicles 13 - 16
N.T. - 2 Thessalonians 3

Focus Verses: 2 Thes. 3:11-13
11We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat. 13And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right.

Insight:
In such a short letter, it's amazing how Paul's instructions and topics range from the epic to mundane. One minute he's explaining apocalyptic mysteries, and the next he's talking about holding down a job and earning enough to buy your own groceries. It's amazing, but not surprising, because the big ideas of Christianity are all lived out in the little details of life. Idleness is akin to laziness, a lack of self-control and motivation, and poor stewardship, and is, therefore, inconsistent with the Christian way of life.

Not only is idleness a sin of omission, as good work is left undone, it can also become of sin of commission, as it provides the opportunity to do wrong. Idleness should not be confused with restfulness. The former is a failure to do your job or fulfill your responsibilities. The latter is the thoughtful setting aside of time for renewal and refreshment; it keeps us healthy and ready to perform our duties.

Response and Action:
I will set about doing what is right. I will cultivate good work habits and do my work with care and integrity. I will approach my work with a desire to serve and honor God through it. I will fill my days with good work, so that I will be less tempted to do what is wrong. I will work hard when it is time for work. I will not put off responsibilities for frivolous or lazy reasons. I will also be sure to make times for rest and renewal so that I am healthy and ready to do my work.

O God, help me to live for you and through you. Help me to be a good steward of my life, and to live it with purpose. Help me to cultivate strong work habits and the ability to do good work. Give me the wisdom to work when it is time to work, and to rest when it is time to rest. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:4
"Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call understanding your kinsman..."

Resources:
The Monday Connection
by William E. Diehl