Monday, February 26, 2007

February 26 - Help and Understanding

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Ezra 1 - 3
N.T. - Hebrews 4:15 - 5:14

Focus Verses:
Hebrews 4:15-16
15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Insight:
Jesus is without sin, but he is not without sympathy for us when we face temptation. He did not give in to temptation, but he experienced it fully. In our times of need, we can have confidence that he understands what we are going through, and he has the grace and strength we need to help us overcome temptation and sin.

Response and Action:
I have confidence in God's grace. I take heart in the knowledge that Jesus has faced temptation, knows me needs, and understands what I am going through. I will look to Christ for the grace and guidance I need to face and overcome the temptations I face today.

Thank you, O God, for sending your son, Jesus, into the world. It is so good to know that he truly understands the struggle and challenge of temptation. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, help me to stand firm in the face of trials and temptation. Amen.

Proverbs: 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Resources:
Overcoming Sin and Temptation
by John Owen, John Piper, Kelly M. Kapic, and Justin Taylor