Monday, March 12, 2007

March 12 - A Good Craving

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Job 4 - 5
N.T. - 1 Peter 1:1 - 2:3

Focus Verses: 1 Peter 2:2-3
2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

Insight:
Peter begins his letter with an exclamation of praise to God who "in his great mercy has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." This living hope comes with the possibility and responsibility of living a new life. He urges them to "grow up in their salvation" by craving the “pure spiritual milk” that comes through the "living and enduring word of God."

Response and Action:
Salvation is more than forgiveness for sin; it is the hope of living in the grace and resurrection power God offers through Jesus. I want to "grow up" in my salvation -- to mature in Christ, and to throw off the old habits and deeds of sin. I will crave and seek out every opportunity to learn and follow God's word. I will strive to know Christ and surrender to him. I will read the Scriptures and pray each day for God's wisdom and grace. In faith, I will expect my life to change and mature as God blesses my wholehearted efforts to live for him.

Dear Father, I ask that by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, you would lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Stir up my desire for the pure spiritual milk of your word that I might become transformed and mature in Christ. Amen.

Proverbs: 12:28
"In the way of righteousness there is life; along that path is immortality."

Resources:
Savoring God's Word: Cultivating the Soul-Transforming Practice of Scripture Meditation
by Jan Johnson