Tuesday, March 13, 2007

March 13 - Living Light

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Job 6 - 8
N.T. - 1 Peter 2:4 - 24

Focus Verses: 1 Peter 2:9-10
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Insight:
Christians believe Jesus is the Christ, the Redeemer, God's living stone upon which we are to build our lives. We belong to God and are part of a people that exists by God's choice. Just as the nation of Israel existed by God's choice for God's purposes, we have been called to a holy purpose: "to declare the praises of him who called us out of darkness into his wonderful light." Our lives are to be living declarations of praise and truth and light as we turn away from sin, live with integrity, and do good deeds (v. 9-10). In every arena of life, from dealing with civil authorities (v.13-14) to oppressive socio-economic realities (v.18-21), Christ Jesus must be the model and foundation for all our actions and reactions.

Response and Action:
I must remember that as a believer and follower of Jesus, I am called to declare the praises of God in my daily life. I will strive to live with integrity, to put away sinful desires, and to do good deeds. In every situation and circumstance, I need to live out my faith in Jesus. I need to follow Christ's example. I want to walk in his steps with complete trust in God, no deceit or insults in my mouth, and responding to injustice without retaliation or threats.

O God, help me to put absolute faith in Jesus and to build my life upon him. Help me, by your Spirit, to follow his example and to live a life that declares your praises. Give me the wisdom to navigate my way in this world as I face injustice, political and civic issues, and the social issues of race, economics, language, and religious beliefs. Help me to keep my eyes on Jesus and base all my words and deeds upon the example he has given me. Help me to keep my way pure as I make every effort to know your word and live accordingly. Amen.

Proverbs: 13:20
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm."

Resources:
Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in an Everyday Life
by Eugene H. Peterson