Friday, March 23, 2007

March 23 - Testing before Believing

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Job 40 - 42
N.T. - 1 John 4

I will be speaking about this text and topic at Evensong Worship, on Sunday evening, March 25.

Focus Verses: 1 John 4:1-3a
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3abut every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

Insight:
There are so many ideas and teachings about Jesus and what it means to know and follow him; how can we discern what is authentic from what is false? John tells Christians to not believe just anything, but instead to "test the spirits" to determine whether or not their claims are truly from God.

Here are some tests he suggests: 1. Does the teaching acknowledge the incarnation -- the flesh and blood reality of Jesus' humanity? (4:3) 2. Does the teaching come from a worldly viewpoint based on human reasoning, or an apostolic viewpoint based on revelation from God? (4:4-6) 3. Does the teaching stress the loving others as Christ Jesus has sacrificially loved us? (4:7-11) 4. Does the teaching acknowledge God's indwelling of believers through the Holy Spirit? (4:13-16) 5. Does the teaching stir up guilt and fear, or does it cast out fear and guilt as it reveals God's love and grace? (4:17-18) 6. Does the teaching hold up sincere and self-initiated love as the true hallmark of a person who knows God? (4:19-21)

Response and Action:
I need to be discerning about teaching. I will keep John's "tests" in mind as I consider what people teach, write, and say about Jesus. I will use these "tests" as guiding principles for forming my own ideas and conclusions about Jesus.

O Lord, I pray that this day you would help me to see you clearly, to love you dearly, and to follow you nearly. Show me your ways, guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Amen.

Proverbs: 23:19
"Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path."

Resources:
Why Should Anyone Believe Anything at All?
by James W. Sire