Sunday, July 01, 2007

July 1 - Sharing Life

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 101
N.T. - Philippians 1-2

Focus Verses: Philippians 1:3-8
3I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 7It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 8God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

Insight:
Paul's opening words to the Christians in Philippi give insight into his relationship with them. He remembered them in prayer. He had joyful hope, rooted in his confidence in God, that they would experience spiritual growth. He had a brotherly love and affection for them because he saw them as partners and fellow pilgrims. He longed to be with them.

His words, attitudes, and prayers are a good example to anyone who wants to experience true fellowship in Christ. The Christian life is meant to be shared.

Response and Action:
I want to experience true Christian fellowship. I want to pursue truth and spiritual maturity in the company of real friends. I want to have warm and sincere relationships with others who are following Jesus. I will pray for my Christian friends, express my feelings for them, and spend time with them in worship, recreation, fellowship, and service.

O Lord, thank you for every brother and sister I have in Christ. Help me to show them my love and appreciation for all they contribute to my life. Help me and my Christian friends to spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Help us to be true friends. Help us to encourage each other and to be faithful to pray for each other. Amen.

Proverbs: 1:32-33
"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me (wisdom) will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm."

Resources:
The Pursuit of God in the Company of Friends
by Richard Lamb