Saturday, July 28, 2007

July 28 - Inquiring of God

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Ezekiel 19 - 21
N.T. - Hebrews 4:1-13

Focus Verses:
Ezekiel 20:1-3, 11-13
1 In the seventh year, in the fifth month on the tenth day, some of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the LORD, and they sat down in front of me. 2 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 3 "Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel and say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Have you come to inquire of me? As surely as I live, I will not let you inquire of me, declares the Sovereign LORD.' --- 11 'I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. 12 Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy. 13 Yet the people of Israel rebelled against me in the desert. They did not follow my decrees but rejected my laws—although the man who obeys them will live by them—and they utterly desecrated my Sabbaths. So I said I would pour out my wrath on them and destroy them in the desert.' "

Insight:
Some elders of Israel came to inquire of the Lord, and they sat down in front of Ezekiel. God had a surprising message for them. He said something to this effect: "No, I won't let you inquire of me. What makes you think you can ignore me, as you have for so long, and then expect me to speak now? You've ignored all that I've done for Israel in the past; you've ignored all that I said and commanded through Moses; and you've abandoned the Sabbaths I asked you to keep as a sign of my provision to you and your trust in me." It's dangerous to ignore God. If you stop listening, he may stop talking.

Response and Action:
If I abuse God's grace and ignore all he has revealed to me through the prophets, Scripture, Jesus, and the Apostles, I may find him unwilling to speak (or myself unable to hear) when I finally do ask for direction.

I should give God my complete attention right now. I should read and heed the Bible. I should be completely familiar with the words and actions of Jesus. Taking the time to seek God's direction should be a part of everyday, normal life, not something done in times of emergency. Even taking the time to rest and trust God to provide can be a sign--a testimony--of my reverence and faith.

O God, help me to seek you and love you with my whole heart. Reveal yourself to me in clear and profound ways through Jesus, the Bible, your Spirit, your people, creation, and all that is beautiful and true. Remind me that taking time for rest and renewal is an act of trust and worship. Amen.


Proverbs: 28:9
"If anyone turns a deaf ear to the law, even his prayers are detestable."

Resources:

Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence
by Ruth Haley Barton