Saturday, October 13, 2007

October 13 - Recognizing God's Provision

Today's Reading:
Gen. 31:1-21
"Jacob Flees from Laban"

Focus Verses: Genesis 31:13
13 'I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.'

Insight:
Despite his Uncle Laban's attempts to keep him in servitude, Jacob had prospered. He had done so well, in fact, that Laban developed a bad attitude toward him.

Jacob remembered the promise God had made to him at Bethel--to take care of him and bring him back to the land promised to Abraham. Jacob acknowledged God's provision as the reason for his success, and now believed God was telling him to make the big move and leave Laban.

In a sense, it was time for him to follow in the footsteps of his grandfather Abraham. He felt the pressure to get away from Laban, but he must have also felt the pull of stepping out in faith to claim God's promise.

Response and Action:
I want to recognize the many ways God provides for me. I want to be ready to step out in faith to claim God's promises for me.

O God, help me to recognize your hand in every blessing of my life. Give me the courage to step out in faith, believing you will keep your promises to me. Help me to trust in your faithfulness. Help me to delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 13:11
"Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow."

New Testament for Today: Philippians 4:19
19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
In Context: Philippians 4:6-20

Resources:
Down-To-Earth Spirituality: Encountering God in the Ordinary, Boring Stuff of Life
by R. Paul Stevens