Tuesday, October 30, 2007

October 30 - Bad Turned for Good

Today's Reading:
Gen. 45:1 – 46:4; 47:11; 49:33; 50:14-21
"Jacob and Household Move to Egypt"

Focus Verses: Genesis 44:30-34
18 His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said. 19 But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

Insight:
Joseph was able to put the past behind him because he could see how God had redeemed his situation to accomplish good. God's power to save and redeem is so powerful and complete that he can take the evil acts of men and turn them to accomplish good. He can take the very same rain that cancels today's parade and use it to cause tomorrow's garden to flourish.

Response and Action:
Faith in God's power to save and redeem makes it possible to forgive and forget. God is able to save us from our own mistakes and the failures of our past. Trusting God helps us to rise above the wounds and hurts we've experienced. I will trust God to bring me through every twist and turn of life. I will believe God's promise to work all things together for my good. Because God holds my future, I am free to let go of my past and forgive those who have hurt or failed me.

O God, help me to trust you with my whole life. Help me to remember that no mistake or circumstance is greater than you. Protect me from discouragement, and encourage me, by your Spirit, through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 30:5
"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

New Testament for Today: James 1:12
12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
In Context: James 1:2-12

Resources:
Never Beyond Hope: How God Touches & Uses Imperfect People
by J. I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom