Monday, October 22, 2007

October 22 - Watching My Step

Today's Reading:
Gen. 39:1-23
"Joseph in Potiphar's House"

Focus Verses: Genesis 39:19-23
19 When his master heard the story his wife told him, saying, "This is how your slave treated me," he burned with anger. 20 Joseph's master took him and put him in prison, the place where the king's prisoners were confined. But while Joseph was there in the prison, 21 the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden. 22 So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there. 23 The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph's care, because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.

Insight:
Joseph is learning a lot about human nature and suffering at the hands of others. First, his brothers were jealous of him and sold him into slavery. Then, as a servant in Egypt, his master was good him, but his master's wife wanted Joseph to engage in an illicit affair with her behind husband's back.

The harsh realities of life were knocking Joseph's naiveté out of him. Through it all, Joseph looked to God in faith, and God was faithful to look out for Joseph and give him success.

Response and Action:
God's goodness is greater than the wrongs others can do to me, greater than my inexperience, greater than my mistakes, and greater than my circumstances. If I look to God in faith, God will faithfully look after me. I will be on guard for traps and temptations. I will look to God for wisdom, protection, strength, and ways of escape.

O God, show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God, my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Give me wisdom to discern traps and pitfalls around me. Help me to walk in your ways and to grow, live with integrity, and follow you in faith. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 22:3
"A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it."

New Testament for Today: 1 Corinthians 10:13
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
In Context: 1 Corinthians 10:1-13

Resources:
Beneath the Surface: Steering Clear of the Dangers That Could Leave You Shipwrecked
by Bob Reccord