Wednesday, February 13, 2008

February 13 - Songs of Salvation

Overview of: Zephaniah

Today's Reading:
Zeph. 1:1; 3:1-20
"Future Judgment and Restoration"

Focus Verses: Zephaniah 3:14-17
14 Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem! 15 The LORD has taken away your punishment, he has turned back your enemy. The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm. 16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem, "Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp. 17 The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Insight:
Zephaniah’s main message is impending "the day of the Lord" (Isa 2:11,17,20; Joel 1:15; 2:2; Am 5:18; 8:9). On that day, Judah and the surrounding nations would all be punished for their cruelty to mankind and their disregard toward God.

Like the other prophets of his time, he also proclaims the hope of renewal. God would bless and care for the faithful remnant of Israel and bring restoration. One day there would be singing and rejoicing by those who would be saved (v. 14) and by the God who would save them (v.17).

Response and Action:
God has the power to save. I will put my hope in God, believing in his will and his power to save. He can take away my fears. He can give me peace. I will sing songs of joy and thanksgiving to God, my Savior. God, himself, will sing and rejoice in my salvation.

O God, show me your ways. Help me to overcome the sins and struggles of today. Bring me safely into a future of joy and restoration. Delight in me, and give me the heart and the will to delight in you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 13:18
"
He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."

New Testament for Today: Luke 15:7
7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
In Context: Luke 15:1-7

Recommended Reading:
The Smell of Sin: And the Fresh Air of Grace
by Don Everts