Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25 - A Taste for Truth

Overview of: Ezekiel

Today's Reading:
Ez. 2:1-9; 3:3-27
"Ezekiel Sent with God's Words"

Focus Verses: Ezekiel 3:3-7
3 Then he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it." So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth. 4 He then said to me: "Son of man, go now to the house of Israel and speak my words to them. 5 You are not being sent to a people of obscure speech and difficult language, but to the house of Israel- 6 not to many peoples of obscure speech and difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. Surely if I had sent you to them, they would have listened to you. 7 But the house of Israel is not willing to listen to you because they are not willing to listen to me, for the whole house of Israel is hardened and obstinate.

Insight:
Even if no one listens, God speaks. Israel did not miss God's word to them because it was too obscure or difficult to understand. They missed it because they were not willing to listen. They were hard-hearted and obstinate. God told Ezekiel to devour his word, to take in the sweet truth, and to be ready to speak it.

Response and Action:
Am I acting like God's truth is beyond me, when the reality is that I am just to stubborn or lazy to take hold of it? Is God's word so available to me that I take it for granted and fail to make any effort to take it in? I want to be ready to listen and ready to live by God's word. I will apply myself to the reading, study, and application of Scripture.

God's word is sweet to those who are ready and willing to take it in. A disregard for God's word is indicative of a hard heart. A hunger and love for God's word is indicative of a humble and receptive heart. God uses those who seek and receive his word to serve as his witnesses in the world--to be voices of his redemptive love and grace.

O God, I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your word. I delight in your word, help me to take it in to my heart and live it out in thought, word, and deed. Wisdom is sweet to my soul. Your word gives me light for today and hope for tomorrow. I will meditate on your words, O Lord. Give me the readiness and the words to express your truth to those who are listening and willing to receive it. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 25:11
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."

New Testament for Today: Romans 10:14
14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
In Context: Romans 10:5-15

Recommended Reading:
Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading
by Eugene H. Peterson