Saturday, February 09, 2008

February 9 - Faith that Keeps

Overview of: Isaiah

Today's Reading:
Isaiah 25:1 – 26:6
"Hope and Peace of Mind"

Focus Verses: Isaiah 26:3-4
3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. 4 Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

Insight:
Though Israel was scattered and Judah would be overcome and taken captive (read Isaiah 24), Isaiah still declared a message of hope. He said that those who trusted in God with a steadfast mind would see a day of restoration. Those who kept faith in God would discover that the God of their faith would keep them. Kingdoms rise and fall, but the Lord and his promises are forever. Those who trust in the all-powerful eternal God, and hold to him in faithfulness, will see the salvation of God.

Response and Action:
I want a peaceful mind. God will give me peace and hope if I fix my eyes on Jesus, follow him wherever he leads, and place all my trust in him. I can expect to see nations and powers struggle for power; I can expect to see conflict and failure in the world; but I can also trust God to restore and renew me when all is said and done. Jesus is the beginning and the end. He is ultimately on the throne, and he will ultimately prevail in heaven and on earth. My peace and my hope are in Him.

O God, give me peace. I am thankful for the blessing and hope you have given in Christ. I will not be anxious or stressed out about world affairs, but will, instead, put my trust in you. I will make my requests know to you and trust you to guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. You are my rock, and you are forever. I pray in the Name of the Jesus, the Alpha and the Omega, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 9:10-11
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life."

New Testament for Today: Revelation 21:4-6
4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." 5 He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." 6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life."
In Context: Revelation 21

Recommended Reading:
If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat
by John Ortberg