Friday, July 11, 2008

July 11 - Love in the Real World

Overview of: Romans

Today's Reading:

Romans 13:1-14
"Power, Love, and Holiness"

Focus Verses:
Romans 13:8-10
8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Insight:
I think it's important to read today's text as a continuation of yesterday's (Romans 12). The life God has called us to live in the world begins with our surrendered relationship with him. This relationship with him is to be lived in Christian community where we serve and encourage each other. The Christian community must relate to the world around it--other religions, competing worldviews, persecution, enemies, governing authorities, political tensions, and social obligations. In all these things, love for God and love toward others should guide our behavior, choices, and attitudes.

Response and Action:
I want to honor God and live in the way of Christ. This is very challenging a world filled with pluralistic beliefs, hostile conflicts, competing political systems, complex laws, and multi-layered governing structures. In all this complexity, I will let a few straightforward principles guide me. 1. I will surrender my life to God and follow Christ; 2. I will make Christian community a priority in my life--giving my time, sharing myself, exercising my talents, and building authentic relationships; 3. I will love God with my all, and love my neighbors with the same love and concern I would want them to extend to me.

O God, life in this world is more than I can face on my own. By your power and grace, helop me to navigate through the challenges and complexities and conflicts. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Help me to live with integrity and care toward others in genuine Christian community. Help my Christian community to be an instrument of your grace, truth, peace, and blessing to the world around us. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 120:6-7
6 Too long have I lived among those who hate peace. 7 I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war.
In Context: Psalm 120

Proverb for Today: Prov. 11:9

"With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape."

Recommended Reading:
The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
by Scot McKnight