Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 26 - Love and Money

Overview of: 1Timothy

Today's Reading:

1 Tim. 6:3 – 21
"Focus and Fight"

Focus Verses:
1 Timothy 6:17-19
17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Insight:
Am I rich? According to the Global Policy Forum's Statistics on Poverty and Inequality, in 1999, 3 billion of the world's people were living on less than $2 per day while 1.3 billion were getting by on less than $1 per day. Chances are that if you're able to read this blog, you, like me, are rich in comparison to most people in the world.

In today's scripture passage, Paul has some very practical instructions for rich people like us. We need to avoid arrogance. We should not put our hope in what we possess. We should remember that wealth is uncertain. We should trust in God and acknowledge him as the source of blessing and provision. We should be rich in good deeds -- generous and willing to share with others.

Response and Action:
I need to recognize how much I have. I need to be thankful to God who has so generously blessed and provided so much for my needs and enjoyment. I need to be careful to always remember that God is my hope and provider, and to never put my trust in things. Instead of trying to be rich in possessions, I will strive to be rich in doing good deeds.

I need to be generous and open-handed with all God has given me. I need to be a faithful steward of all God has given and to be ready to share with others. I will generously give to the church, to efforts to help the poor, to ministries that are taking the Good News of Jesus to the world, and to practical causes that contribute to the health and betterment of my community and my world.

O God, you have blessed me in so many ways. Help me, in reverence and thanksgiving to share all you have given me. Help me to be a source of blessing. Give me the wisdom I need to be a good steward and generous heart that is ready to give and share. Let me to live with a generosity that boldly demonstrates my confidence in you -- my hope, my security, and my provider. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 49:12-13
12 But man, despite his riches, does not endure; he is like the beasts that perish. 13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
In Context: Psalm 49

Proverb for Today: Prov. 26:27

"If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it; if a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him."

Recommended Reading:
Neither Poverty Nor Riches: A Biblical Theology of Possessions
by Craig L. Blomberg