Thursday, July 03, 2008

July 3 - Deciding to Give

Overview of: 2 Corinthians

Today's Reading:

2Cor. 9:6-15
"Christian Generosity"

Focus Verses:
2 Cor. 9:6-8
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Insight:
God is a giver. "God so loved the world that he gave..." (John 3:16). God's grace and generosity toward us through Christ is profound and unsparing. It only makes sense that generosity is a mark of all who follow Christ and seek to be like him. All of us who have placed trust in Christ Jesus, and understand the indescribable gift he is in our lives, will naturally become givers. Not because it is compulsory, but because it is what we have decided to do.

We become able to give without reluctance, because the Holy Spirit is shaping our hearts in such a way that we desire to give. By God's grace, we are becoming generous. We are becoming people who understand what matters most, what has true value, and what gives lasting joy. We realize that true faith and reliance in God makes it possible to be generous, which results in glory to God.

Response and Action:
Because I trust in Christ Jesus, I will give without reluctance. I will share with others and live a generous life. God has been so generous with me that I cannot help be become a cheerful giver. I will share with those in need. I will give to the ministry of my church. I will be generous toward local and international initiatives that help others live fuller and healthier lives. I will support those who are serving to take the message of Jesus around the world. My motivation for giving is to honor God and to give testimony of the indescribable generosity of Jesus for all people.

O God, you have given me so much. Give me the heart of a giver. Make me cheerful in generosity. Give me the grace to give, and may my giving be pleasing to you and a testimony of your grace and goodness. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Deut. 15:7-8
7 If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. 8 Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs.
In Context: Deuteronomy 15:1-11

Proverb for Today: Prov.
3:9-10
"Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine."

Recommended Reading:
Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life
by Mark Allan Powell