Saturday, August 30, 2008

August 30 - Honey

The new Useful Breath reading schedule will begin on Monday, September 15, 2008. Please invite friends and family to join us as we read through the Bible once again.

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. Until then, our daily readings will be centered on the importance of Scripture in our lives. Keep reading!


Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Psalm 119:81 - 104
"Love & Longing for the Word"

Focus Verses:
Psalm 119:97, 103-104
97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. - - - 103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

Insight:
Bible reading should not be approached as a mere duty or study assignment. The psalmist loved the Scriptures and savored them like honey. When something is sweet and desirable it is approached as a joy and privilege. Those who delight in the richness of the Word gain understanding for life and find every right path.

Response and Action:
I am thankful for the Bible and I read it because I want to! I want to enjoy and delight in the precious gift of God's Word. So often Bible reading is talked about in terms of duty and discipline, but I think about it in terms of love and longing for truth. I cannot think of anything sweeter than finding my way in life and growing in wisdom.

O God, thank you for the sweetness and goodness of your Word. Help me to delight in it each day. Lead me and bless me as I do. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 30:5

"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

Recommended Resource:
Zondervan NIV Study Bible
#1 Best-selling study Bible / the most read, most trusted English-language translation. / Over 20,000 study notes. / Introductions and outlines provide valuable background information for each book of the Bible. / In-text maps, charts, diagrams, and illustrations right where you want them / 16 pages of full-color maps plus timelines and presentation page. / NIV concordance plus subject and study notes indexes.