Friday, August 08, 2008

August 8 - Got Milk?

Overview of: 1Peter

Today's Reading:

1Peter 1:1 – 2:3
"Hope and Holiness"

Focus Verses:
1 Peter 2:2-3
2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

Insight:
Peter begins his letter with an exclamation of praise to God who "in his great mercy has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." This living hope comes with the possibility and responsibility of living a new life. He urges them to "grow up in their salvation" by craving the “pure spiritual milk” that comes through the "living and enduring word of God."

Response and Action:
Salvation is more than forgiveness for sin; it is the hope of living in the grace and resurrection power God offers through Jesus. I want to "grow up" in my salvation -- to mature in Christ, and to throw off the old habits and deeds of sin. I will crave and seek out every opportunity to learn and follow God's word. I will strive to know Christ and surrender to him. I will read the Scriptures and pray each day for God's wisdom and grace. In faith, I will expect my life to change and mature as God blesses my wholehearted efforts to live for him.

Dear Father, I ask that by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, you would lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Stir up my desire for the pure spiritual milk of your word that I might become transformed and mature in Christ. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 119:130-132
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. 131 I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands. 132 Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
In Context: Psalm 119:129-136

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:34-35

"Blessed is the man who listens to me (wisdom), watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD."

Recommended Reading:
Savoring God's Word: Cultivating the Soul-Transforming Practice of Scripture Meditation
by Jan Johnson