Wednesday, August 06, 2008

August 6 - Make the Devil Run

Overview of: James

Today's Reading:

James 4:1-17
"Submitting to God"

Focus Verses:
James 4:7-8
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Insight:
The devil flees from those who submit themselves to God. God draws near to those who draw near to him. Those who are single-minded in their submission to God, and desire to be near him, take sin seriously; they purify their hearts and wash their hands of wickedness.

Response and Action:
I want to live a life that is surrendered to God. I will make every effort to draw near to him. I will make holiness and the pursuit of God the highest priority of my life. I will wholeheartedly and single-mindedly follow Christ and turn away from evil.

O God, help me live for you and through you today in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. Lead me away from temptation, deliver me from evil, and provide for my needs. Protect me from discouragement, and encourage me by your Spirit through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. By the power of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 68:1-2
1 May God arise, may his enemies be scattered; may his foes flee before him. 2 As smoke is blown away by the wind, may you blow them away; as wax melts before the fire, may the wicked perish before God.
In Context: Psalm 68

Proverb for Today: Prov. 6:16-19

"There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."

Recommended Reading:
The Pursuit of Holiness
by Jerry Bridges