Wednesday, May 16, 2007

May 16 - Some Doubts

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 16
N.T. - Matthew 28

Focus Verses:
Matthew 28:16-19
16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Insight:
Faith and doubt live closer together than most people think. In fact, they actually depend on each other. You cannot wrestle with doubts unless you are considering what to believe. You cannot have faith unless you wrestle through the doubts and questions that surround it.

Here at the conclusion of Matthew's gospel, the disciples worship Jesus, but some have doubts. Who can blame them? They had seen Jesus beaten and crucified and his lifeless body buried in a tomb. It must have been absolutely mind boggling--almost unbelievable--to now look into his face and hear his voice.

I'm glad Matthew included this important detail and didn't hide their doubt from us. As the disciples accepted Jesus' authority, obeyed his command, and experienced his ongoing presence in their lives, their doubts seem to have faded and their faith increased.

Response and Action:
I will be honest about my doubts. It is possible to be with Jesus and worship him and still have doubts. Like the disciples, I can wrestle through my doubts and grow in my faith as I worship Jesus, accept his authority, live in obedience to him, and cultivate my awareness of his presence in my life.

O Lord, increase my faith. Thank you for your mercy to those who doubt. Show yourself to me in new ways everyday. Confirm the truth of your word as I live by it. Guide me and give me a growing awareness of your abiding presence. Help me to discover the solid ground of faith as I put your words into practice. Amen.

Proverbs: 16:20
"Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD."

Resources:
Doubting: Growing Through the Uncertainties of Faith
by Alister McGrath
Embracing the Mysterious God: Loving the God We Don't Understand
by James Emery White