Monday, May 07, 2007

May 6 - Like a Child

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 6
N.T. - Matthew 18

Focus Verses:
Matthew 18:2-4
2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Insight:
Humility is essential to entering God's Kingdom. To live with Jesus as King and to enter into his purpose and will on earth, we need to be honest about our weaknesses and needs, to see ourselves as children without power, status, or ability to provide for ourselves. People who are seeking God must also have a childlike capacity for wonder, for learning, and for accepting help and guidance.

Response and Action:
I must be humble before God, honest about my needs, and ready to receive his mercy and provision. I must have a sense of wonder that moves me to seek out truth and learn how to live with joy and purpose.

Dear Father, I need you. Help me to seek you with a love and humility of a child. Help me to know you more each day. Strengthen and encourage me through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. Amen.

Proverbs: 6:2-3
"If you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, to free yourself, since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands: Go and humble yourself; press your plea with your neighbor!"

Resources:
Humility: True Greatness
by C. J. Mahaney and Joshua Harris