Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 29 - Stronger than Stones

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 29
N.T. - Mark 13

Focus Verses: Mark 13:1-2, 31-33
1As he was leaving the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!" 2"Do you see all these great buildings?" replied Jesus. "Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down." - - -

31
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. 32"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.

Insight:
The prophet Isaiah said, "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." Here, Jesus takes that well-known promise about God's word, and uses it to describe his own words. The implication of this claim is amazing in and of itself, and even more so in light of the context of the conversation. The disciples are commenting on the stability and impressiveness of the temple and the surrounding buildings of the Holy City. Jesus says, "None of this is eternal. My words are eternal, I am the hope for eternity."

Only Jesus is worthy of our hope and trust. He claims to have the words of eternal life. He promises that his truth will outlast every hardship and struggle. He assures us that if we follow him, he will save and preserve us as we trust in him and take him at his word.

Response and Action:
I will be careful to see the structures and powers of my world for the passing and fading things they are. I will not put my trust in buildings, governments, armies, corporations, political movements, or institutions. Not even religious ones! I will put my hope and trust in Jesus. I will invest my heart, my time, and my effort to knowing Jesus, being attentive to his words, and following his ways.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever more! My trust is in you, O God. Only you are worthy of my all, and only you can give me a stable life and a hope for the future. So many things in the world give the appearance of firmness and security, but only you are steadfast forever. My life is but a vapor that passes, but a thousand years in your sight are like a day gone by. Teach me to number my days and to commit each one of them to you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 29:18
"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law."

Resources:
The Voice of Jesus: Discernment, Prayer, and the Witness of the Spirit
by Gordon T. Smith