Wednesday, May 23, 2007

May 23 - Hearts and Hands

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 23
N.T. - Mark 7

Focus Verses: Mark 7:5-8; 14-15
5So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, "Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with 'unclean' hands?" 6He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 7They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.' 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." - - - 14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "

Insight:
True righteousness is not a matter of external constraints but rather internal transformation. Rules that control a person outwardly are not able to change the heart. Holiness starts with a person's heart and flows out through that person's thoughts, words, and deeds. Hearts surrendered to God and shaped by God truly honor God.

Response and Action:
To become the person God wants me to be, I must surrender my life to him and allow him to renovate my heart and renew my mind. I do not want to merely reform and restrict my behavior, I want a changed heart that desires to do God's will, a heart that wants what God wants.

O God, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will and wand walk in your ways to the glory of your Name. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my Spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 23:26
"My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways. . ."

Resources:
Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ
by Dallas Willard