Friday, August 17, 2007

August 17 - Worship or Noise?

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Amos 4 - 6
N.T. - 1 John 4:7-21

Focus Verses: Amos 5:11, 21-24

11 You trample on the poor and force him to give you grain. Therefore, though you have built stone mansions, you will not live in them; though you have planted lush vineyards, you will not drink their wine. - - - 21 "I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies. 22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them. 23 Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps. 24 But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Insight:
Religious traditions, praise songs, offerings, and worship assemblies are repulsive to God when they are disconnected from the lives of those who practice them. You cannot please God with the worship you offer if it is not consistent with the life you live. God must be worshiped in spirit and in truth.

If we do not live with a desire for and commitment to integrity, justice, mercy, care, and compassion, our praise songs are just noise that annoys God. You cannot claim to love God, who is unseen, and ignore the needs and hardships of the people right in front of you.

Response and Action:
My worship and religion must flow out of a true heart for God, and true faith that is lived out in deeds of love and compassion.

O God, help me to live for you and through you in thought, word, and deed. May the words of praise on my lips flow out of a true heart of devotion for you and a true love and concern for the world around me. Wake me up and help me see the ways self-centeredness and self-gratification are contrary to genuine worship and true religion. Help me to worship you in spirit and in truth. Amen.

Proverbs: 17:5
"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished."

Resources:
Good News About Injustice: A Witness of Courage in a Hurting World
by Gary Haugen