Tuesday, August 07, 2007

August 7 - Unshakable Faith

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Daniel 1 - 3
N.T. - Philippians 1:12-26 & 4:12-13

Focus Verses: Daniel 3:16-18

16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Insight:
The resolve and commitment of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego is remarkable. It's no wonder they caught the eye of the King when he was looking for outstanding young men to serve him. Their faith in God was unyielding.

They believed God could deliver them from anyone and anything. They were convinced that God had the power to sustain them through any circumstance. They did not, however, confuse what God could do with what God would do or with what they thought God should do. They were willing to stay true to their convictions regardless of their personal situation. They trusted God in life and in death.

Response and Action:
My faith in God cannot be dependent on things going my way. I must take a stand and remain true to God and his word regardless of my circumstance. Real faith believes that God can be glorified whether by life or by death. Trusting God requires acceptance of the possibility for God's will to be served and his glory increased through personal loss or gain.

O God, help me to trust in you with all my heart and to not lean on my own understanding. Help me to be faithful to you and to bring you honor whether my circumstances are good or bad. Give me a steadfast faith that weathers the storms and difficulties of life. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:2-3
"Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart."

Resources:
Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God
by Brennan Manning