Tuesday, October 16, 2007

October 16 - Praying the Promises

Today's Reading:
Genesis 32:1-21
"Jacob Prepares to Meet Esau"

Focus Verses: Genesis 32:9-12
9 Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' 10 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. 11 Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. 12 But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' "

Insight:
Jacob had fled his father's house because he feared for his life. Now, many years later, the thought of facing his estranged brother, Esau, still put fear into his heart. Jacob began thinking of anything he could do to prevent or survive an attack by Esau. More importantly, he cried out to God for help.

Jacob believed God had called him to return to Canaan, and that God had promised to protect and prosper him if he obeyed. Now, as he approached Edom, with the very real threat of Esau's revenge, he was afraid for his life and the lives of his family members. He had come to the point where he was absolutely dependent upon God's faithfulness. He reminded himself of all God had promised, and he recounted those promises in his prayer.

Response and Action:
I need to believe in God and obey him in order to experience his faithfulness to me. Living by faith will likely put me in situations where I am understandably afraid and unsure about what lies ahead. In those times, I will cry out to God and recount God's promises to me.

O God, help me to walk with you in the light of your word. Shine the light of your truth on my way. Where you send, I will go. What you say, I will do. Even if I am fearful, I will trust and obey. Give me the peace of Christ to guard my heart and mind. Every step of my life's journey, remind me of your promises, you faithfulness, and your love. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:9
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

New Testament for Today: Hebrews 12:2,3
2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
In Context: Hebrews 12:1-12

Resources:
Following After God
by Daniel Hill