Saturday, October 27, 2007

October 27 - Taking the Next Step

Today's Reading:
Gen. 43:1-38
"The Second Trip to Egypt"

Focus Verses: Genesis 43:11-14
11 Then their father Israel said to them, "If it must be, then do this: Put some of the best products of the land in your bags and take them down to the man as a gift—a little balm and a little honey, some spices and myrrh, some pistachio nuts and almonds. 12 Take double the amount of silver with you, for you must return the silver that was put back into the mouths of your sacks. Perhaps it was a mistake. 13 Take your brother also and go back to the man at once. 14 And may God Almighty grant you mercy before the man so that he will let your other brother and Benjamin come back with you. As for me, if I am bereaved, I am bereaved."

Insight:
Once again, Israel (Jacob) is at a point where faith in God is his only option. It's clear from the passage that he knew the day was coming when he would have to let his sons return to Egypt, but he had been putting it off as long as possible. His son, Judah, said that in the time Israel had been stalling, they could have gone and returned twice.

When he could wait no longer, Israel gave in and said, "If it must be." He sounds almost fatalistic as he says, "If I am bereaved, I am bereaved." He was struggling, as he had so many times before, with letting go of his control and trusting God to provide. Little did he or his sons know the amazing blessings that were awaiting them once they took this big step of faith.

Response and Action:
It's easy to put off doing things that require faith. Israel procrastinated even though knew he would eventually have to trust God with the whole situation and let his sons go. How am I like that? What step of faith am I putting off? What am I holding on to that I need to entrust to God? What important decision or action would I make today if I really believed in God’s faithfulness to see me through?


O God, only you know what lies ahead in my life, so only you can be trusted to help me face whatever is next. Only you know what blessings I have been delaying by putting off the things I know I must do. Help me to realize that the most important step of faith I need to take is the next step. Help me to trust your will, to discern your guidance, and to obediently follow your leading. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:1
"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth."

New Testament for Today: James 4:14
4Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. In Context: James 4:13-17

Resources:
In His Everlasting Arms: Learning to Trust God in All Circumstances
by Gail MacDonald