Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23 - Seeing past Circumstances

Today's Reading:
Gen. 40:1-23
"Joseph Interprets Two Dreams"

Focus Verses: Genesis 40:14-15
14 "But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. 15 For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon."

Insight:
The king of Egypt had thrown his cupbearer and baker into prison suspecting them of wrongdoing. These men were far more than kitchen help; their close proximity to the king made their jobs very high positions. Since the king ate food from their hands, these men needed to be absolutely trustworthy. Either one of them could have posed a threat to the king's life.

Joseph's interpretation of the dreams made it clear that the cupbearer was innocent, and would soon be restored to his high position. The baker, however, would be found guilty of treason and be publicly executed for his crime.

Joseph interpreted these dreams with God's help (v.8). His life had been difficult and he had been put in jail under false charges, but still his trust and devotion toward God were as strong as ever. It must have encouraged Joseph to see that the cupbearer (an accused man who had been wrongly imprisoned) would be released and restored to a place of trust and responsibility.

Response and Action:
My faith in God and my devotion to him must be strong regardless of my circumstances. Even if I am enduring hardship or injustice, I will put my trust in God. Living by faith will shape the way I see the world. A strong faith in God and a commitment to his word will help me have a clearer view of the world, and give me insights about the meaning of my circumstances. Rather than allowing my life circumstances to shape the way I view my relationship with God, I will cultivate my relationship with God so that it shapes the way I view my circumstances.

O God, give me eyes to see you at work in my life and in my circumstances. Help me to remember that your ways and your thoughts are higher than mine. You know my coming and my going. Before a word is on my lips, you know it. You know all that is behind me and all that is before me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. Give me a living and growing faith that looks beyond present circumstances to the future hope you give to all who seek you. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 23:17-19
"Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off. Listen, my son, and be wise, and keep your heart on the right path."

New Testament for Today: Philippians 1:12
12Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.
In Context: Philippians 1

Resources:
Never Beyond Hope: How God Touches & Uses Imperfect People
by J. I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom