Tuesday, October 09, 2007

October 9 - Fraud and Faith

Today's Reading:
Gen. 27:1-40
"Jacob Deceives Isaac"

Focus Verses: Genesis 27:18-19
18 He went to his father and said, "My father." "Yes, my son," he answered. "Who is it?" 19 Jacob said to his father, "I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you told me. Please sit up and eat some of my game so that you may give me your blessing."

Insight:
The name, Jacob, could be translated "heel grabber." It's an appropriate name for him because he (like his mother) was a schemer and a scrambler. He wanted to be blessed by God, but seems to have thought he needed to scrape and trick his way into blessing. He couldn't just be who he was; he needed to pretend to be something he wasn't.

It seems like most people need to wrestle with this problem. It's hard to learn that cheating, manipulation, and pretense are absolutely inferior to trusting God and being honest about ourselves. Fraud and faith are opposed to each other.

Response and Action:
Who am I? Am I honest about who I am before God and others? Am I someone who humbles myself before God, who trusts God to lead and bless, or someone who thinks I need to scheme and scratch my way to get ahead. I want to live a life of integrity and humility. I want to be honest and humble before God and before others. I want to know God and to trust him for direction and blessing. Then I will be able to be honest with myself and with others.

O God, you are my God. I will seek you earnestly. I want to know you and trust you with all my heart. Help me to look to you for blessing and provision, instead of looking to myself. Help me to turn away from cheating and pretense, and instead live with faith and honesty. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 9:13, 16-18
"The woman Folly is loud; she is undisciplined and without knowledge. 'Let all who are simple come in here!' she says to those who lack judgment. 'Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!' But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are in the depths of the grave."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 4:22-25
22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. 25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
In Context: Ephesians 4:17-32

Resources:
Birthright: Christian, Do You Know Who You Are?
by David C. Needham