Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May 14 - Seeing and Being

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:

Luke 10:1-24
"Sent Out by the Son"

Focus Verses: Luke 10:22-24
22 "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." 23 Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. 24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."

Insight:
Jesus clearly claimed to be the Son of God. He claimed to have an exclusive relationship with the Father. He claimed to be the only person who could truly reveal the Father. He told his disciples that they were blessed to be the ones who were seeing the things he was showing them. He claimed to fulfill and reveal the things the prophets would have longed to see and know. He sent his disciples into the world to share what he had revealed to them. He called his followers to more than belief; he called them to live out the truth he had given them, and to join him in revealing that truth and hope to others.

Response and Action:
I believe that Jesus is who he claimed to be. I believe that he is God, he is Savior, and he is Lord. I believe that he is the only one who can show me God the Father. Beyond belief, I want to live out the truth Christ Jesus has revealed. I want to not only hear his words, but also put them into practice. As I follow in his steps, I want to be a part of his taking truth and hope and life to others.

O God, thank you for sending you one and only Son into the world to save us and show us your ways--God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God. Thank you for the blessing of being able to see the things he reveals. Help me to love and follow after him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Transform and shape me so completely that my life reveals the truth of Christ and his power to save. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 98:2-3
2 The LORD has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations. 3 He has remembered his love and his faithfulness to the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
In Context: Psalm 98

Proverb for Today: Prov. 14:5
"A truthful witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies."

Recommended Reading:
Jesus: Lord and Savior
by F. F. Bruce