Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21 - Putting in Everything

Overview of: Mark

Today's Reading:

Mark 12:13-44
"Various Teachings"

Focus Verses: Mark 12:43-44
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

Insight:
Giving is an indicator of what the heart values most. Giving demonstrates faith in God's promise to provide and sustain. Giving out of surplus requires less faith than giving out of sacrifice. It is difficult to be generous and open handed today if there is a real possibility of being empty handed tomorrow. If I am trusting God for everything I need, I will see everything I have as being from him and for him.

Response and Action:
If I truly trust God to provide for me, and if I put God first in my life, I will make giving a priority. Instead of using my resources first for everything I want and need, and then after that giving some—if anything--of what's left, I will first give what I have decided to give and then live on what remains. I want my giving to flow out of my thanksgiving and love for Jesus, my faith in God to provide for my needs, and my desire to seek first Christ's kingdom and his righteousness.

O God, my hope and my treasure are in you. My first desire is to honor and serve you. Help me to be a good steward of all you have given me. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Give me the faith that looks to you for purpose and provision. Give me the heart to live with generosity. Help me to excel in the grace of giving. Make me quick to share and a cheerful giver. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 112:4-5
4 Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man. 5 Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely, who conducts his affairs with justice.
In Context: Psalm 112

Proverb for Today: Prov. 21:17
"He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich."

Recommended Reading:
Thinking About Money
by Paul R. Stevens and Robert Banks