Monday, May 05, 2008

May 5 - Seeking Seekers

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:
Luke 19:1-10
"Zacchaeus and Jesus"

Focus Verses: Luke 19:3-6
3 [Zacchaeus] wanted to see who Jesus was, but being a short man he could not, because of the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way. 5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." 6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

Insight:
Zacchaeus was so motivated to see Jesus he was willing to climb a tree if that's what it took. It must have been quite a sight to see a wealthy man like Zacchaeus up a tree. This wholehearted effort was hard to miss, and when Jesus saw him, he looked up and said something to this effect: "Come down here! You're obviously a man with a story, and I've just got to hear it. Let's go to your house."

Zacchaeus was seeking out Jesus; and Jesus was "seeking the lost" (Lk. 19:10). That was a very happy convergence of searches. Today there are many people seeking a glimpse of Jesus, and it’s good to know that Jesus is still seeking them through his church and by his Spirit. Those who have found Christ need to join him in seeking out those who are still searching for him.

Response and Action:
I will join Jesus in his mission to seek and save the lost. I will draw near to Christ and keep my eyes open for others who are searching for the truth, salvation, hope, forgiveness, restoration, and purpose he has for them. Because I have found Jesus, I must become a seeker like him.

O God, give me the grace and discernment to see those who are seeking Jesus. Help me to draw nearer to Jesus every day, so that I might be more able to help others do the same. Thank you that Jesus came to seek and save the lost. Help me to join him in seeking out those who are searching for him and all he has to offer. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: 1 Chron. 16:10-11
10 Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. 11 Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.
In Context: 1 Chronicles 16:7-36

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:21

"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths."

Recommended Reading:
Who Was Jesus?
by Scot McKnight