Friday, May 02, 2008

May 2 - I Once Was Lost

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:
Luke 15:1-10
"The Lost Sheep & Lost Coin"

Focus Verses: Luke 15:7
7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Insight:
The Pharisees and religious teachers were always grumbling about the sinners, tax collectors, and riffraff with whom Jesus associated. One such undesirable was a man named Zacchaeus (Lk. 19). When Jesus went to his house, he explained to the grumblers that being with these people was central to his purpose--"The son of man came to seek and save the lost."

In today's text we see Jesus telling two stories in response to the grumbling. He explained that he was like a woman sweeping the house to find a lost coin, or a shepherd who went out to find a lost sheep. He said that heaven was filled with rejoicing when the lost were found. He explained that his time spent with sinners was necessary because nothing pleased God more than a sinner who repented and turned from sin.

Response and Action:
I will give thanks to God for Jesus who came to save sinners. I will turn from sin and follow Jesus. I will join him in his mission to save. I will go wherever the lost people are. I will sweep through the house of my community. I will search out the fields of my daily associations and friendships to find the lost and help them find Jesus.

O God, have mercy upon me, a sinner. Thank you that Jesus came into the world to seek and save the lost. Thank you for finding me, a lost coin, a lost sheep. Thank you that the searching and saving mission of Jesus is continually being fulfilled through his church, guided and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Give me a heart for those who are lost. Make me a seeker with a passion to find those who need to find Jesus. It's in his name that I pray, Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Ez. 34:11-12
11 " 'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. 12 As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness."
In Context: Ezekiel 34

Proverb for Today: Prov. 2:4-5

"...and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."

Recommended Reading:
What's So Amazing about Grace
by Philip Yancey