Wednesday, June 18, 2008

June 18 - Ready and Waiting

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 10:1-48
"Peter at Cornelius' House"

Focus Verses:
Acts 10:30-33
30 Cornelius answered: "Four days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31 and said, 'Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32 Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.' 33 So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us."

Insight:
God was at work in Cornelius' life long before the Apostle Peter was introduced to him after being prepared for the meeting by a dream. Cornelius was a God fearing man who prayed and demonstrated his faith through acts of benevolence to the poor. One day while praying he had a vision of “a man in shining clothes” telling him to send for Simon Peter.

Too often, Christians forget that God is at work in the world around them. Many people are looking for truth and desiring to know God. They may be ready and waiting before they ever read a Bible, hear the gospel, or meet a Christian. The Holy Spirit is at work in the world, convicting people of their need for salvation, and drawing them to God, and helping them to hear the good news of Jesus.

Response and Action:
I need to be open and ready to share the good news of Jesus with others. I need to remember that God is at work in the hearts of men and women who are seeking truth, praying, and longing to hear the good news. I want to keep my eyes open to such people. I want to be sensitive to the Spirit's leading and ready to seek out those who are seeking God. I want to live in the grace of Christ and the truth of Scripture, and be able to share that grace and truth with others.

O God, move in the lives of people. Reveal the truth of Christ to all people in every possible way. Show yourself through your creation, through your church, through the Scriptures, and through me. Lead me to those who are seeking you, who are already ready and waiting, and those I am most able to help. Make me a ready and willing witness of your grace and salvation, which you freely give to all who put their trust in Christ. It's in his saving and redeeming name that I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Isaiah 42:6
6 "I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles..."
In Context: Isaiah 42:1-9

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 18:15
"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."

Recommended Reading:
Get the Word Out: How God Shapes and Sends His Witnesses
by John Teter