Friday, June 20, 2008

June 20 - Seeing My Need for Grace

Overview of: Galatians

Today's Reading:

Galatians 3:1 – 4:7
"Faith or Law"

Focus Verses:
Galatians 3:21-24
21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22 But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. 23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

Insight:
The hope of salvation is through faith, not in keeping laws. This has always been true. Abraham was not made right with God on the basis of his works, but rather on the basis of his faith in God, and his appeal to God's grace. The law received through Moses was never able to save people, but instead made the sinfulness of mankind even more obvious. In showing us our weakness and bondage to sin, the law underscores our need for a savior and points us to Christ. Placing our faith in Christ and trusting him for salvation is what the law should move us to do. God's grace is our only hope for salvation, and faith in Christ Jesus is the way we take hold of God's grace.

Response and Action:
I must remember that salvation is not earned by human effort, but rather by faith in Christ Jesus. In order to live a righteous life, I need to be transformed by the power and grace of the Holy Spirit. With my faith firmly rooted in Christ, I can then make every effort to pursue righteousness as I am led and empowered by the Spirit. God's grace in my life is the power of salvation. By grace, the Holy Spirit in me is the source of strength for leading a righteous life, serving Jesus, and honoring God.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Provide for my needs today. Protect me from discouragement, and encourage me, by your Spirit, through your word, your people, your promises, and all that is beautiful and true. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Genesis 15:6
6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
In Context: Genesis 15

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 20:9
"Who can say, 'I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin'?"

Recommended Reading:
Galatians: Experiencing the Grace of Christ
by John Stott