Friday, June 06, 2008

June 6 - Still Loved and Called

Overview of: John

Today's Reading:

John 21:1-25
"Breakfast in Galilee"

Focus Verses:
John 21:4-7
4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. 5 He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?" "No," they answered. 6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. 7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.

Insight:
This account of an incredible catch of fish is very similar to Luke's account of what happened when Peter first met Jesus and was called to follow him (Luke 5:1-11). It seems that Peter and the disciples were discouraged and uncertain of their calling. Though this was their third post-resurrection encounter with Jesus, the shame of abandoning him at his arrest, and Peter's guilt over denying him while he was on trial, seemed to hang over them. Even the resurrection seemed to be more of a confusing mystery to them than a joyful reality.

Jesus carefully and repeatedly presented himself to the disciples in ways that helped them process the outrageous possibility and meaning of the resurrection. By reenacting the events of his first call to Peter, Jesus seems to have been helping the disciples remember his love and purpose for them. In the beginning, he called them to be fishers of men; he now called them to be shepherds of his flock.

Response and Action:
Failures, fears, guilt, and confusion can take a toll my relationship with Christ and my sense of purpose. It's so important for me to remember that Christ's love and purpose for me are greater than my weakness. His grace is greater than my sin. His calling is deeper than my wandering. His wisdom is greater than my confusion. My relationship with God and the purpose of my life are rooted in his grace, not my performance. I will hold on to his faithfulness and unwavering love.

O God, thank you for the love and grace you have lavished upon me, that I should be called your child. And that is what I am! Thank you for your persistent and amazing grace that will not let me go. Thank you for the hope, the purpose, and the promise I have in Christ Jesus. It's in his redemptive and restoring name that I pray. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 51:10-13
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.
In Context: Psalm 51

Proverb for Today: Prov. 6:23
"For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life..."

Recommended Reading:
The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life
by Os Guinness