Saturday, June 07, 2008

June 7 - Making Disciples

Overview of: Matthew and Acts

Today's Reading:

Matt. 28:16-20; Acts 1:1-26
"Commission & Ascension"

Focus Verses:
Matt. 28:18-20
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Insight:
The Good News of Jesus is something to be shared and taken to the whole world. Jesus commissioned his disciples to go and make more disciples. They would not have to do this alone; Christ promised to be with them to the very end of the age.

Response and Action:
I will share the Jesus with others. He is Lord--all authority in heaven and earth belongs to him. He is savior--everyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. He is master--his commands and his example are the way to life. He is present--he is with us, through his Spirit, to the very end. I will follow him, obey him, and share him with everyone around me. I will cultivate a sense of his presence, and look to the Holy Spirit for the transformation, insight, and strength I need to follow and serve Christ.

O God, help me to follow Jesus, my Lord and my Savior. Teach me to delight and walk in his ways. Give me the boldness and the joy I need to share him with the world around me. Help me to walk in the light as he is in the light. Make my life a testimony of his power to save, to redeem, to transform, and to guide. It's in his saving name that I pray. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 98:1-2
1 Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him. 2 The LORD has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
In Context: Psalm 98

Proverb for Today: Prov. 7:2
"Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye."

Recommended Reading:
Discipleship Essentials: A Guide to Building Your Life in Christ
by Greg Ogden