Monday, January 12, 2009

January 12 - First

Overview of: 1 Kings

Today's Reading:
1 Kgs. 15:1 - 17:24
"Wicked Kings, Righteous Widow"

Focus Verses: 1 Kings 17:13-14
13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' "

Insight:
By the time the prophet Elijah entered the story of Israel, the northern ten tribes had allowed their faith in the one true God to be compromised, corrupted, and blended with other forms of pagan worship and false gods. Because of their unfaithfulness, God allowed them to be subjected to drought, famine, and political oppression.

It was so bad that streams dried up and crops failed. Elijah asked a widow in Zarephath to provide him with some food. He promised her that if she did, God would provide for her needs. She believed him and gave him the little bit she had. She had thought it would be the last meal she and her son would have before they died, but even so, she served the prophet first. Her faith resulted in God's blessing and provision.

Response and Action:
Even when times are hard and resources are few, I will put my faith in God's promises, and put God first. When finances are tight, I will still give first. When days are busy, I will still make time to seek and serve God first. I will approach every circumstance with faith in Christ, believing that through him, and by his strength, I can face any and every situation.

O God, help me to put you above all else. Give me a strong faith and the courage to live with complete confidence in your promises. Save me from half-heartedness toward you. Give me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Through Christ, I pray. Amen

New Testament for Today: Phil. 4:12-13
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
In Context: Phil. 4:10-13

Proverb for Today: Prov. 12:3
"A man cannot be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted."

Recommended Reading:
Hope Has Its Reasons: The Search to Satisfy Our Deepest Longings
by Rebecca Manley Pippert