Wednesday, January 07, 2009

January 7 - Love's Vineyard

Overview of: Song of Songs

Today's Reading:
Song 2:1-17
"A Lover and His Beloved"

Focus Verses: Song 2:14-15
14 My dove in the clefts of the rock, in the hiding places on the mountainside, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely. 15 Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.

Insight:
Song of Songs, a love poem, is one of the wisdom books attributed to Solomon. The song describes the love of a man and woman in all it's complexity, passion, and mystery. It portrays this love as gift from God to be enjoyed. It is also a gift to be guarded. In verse 15, "the lover" expresses his concern about the little things that can ruin a relationship.

Response and Action:
Today's reading seems well-timed for me. I've had the privilege of officiating at two weddings in just the last three weeks. And just yesterday I met with a young couple getting married in June.

I am thankful for the loving relationship I have with my wife. I will do all I can to not let little things destroy or diminish the joy of our marriage. I will try to identify and "catch" these little foxes and get rid of them. I want us to enjoy a joyful and rich marriage for the rest of our lives. By putting the Lord first in our lives, we will grow closer together in love. The source of our love for each other will flow out of the love we receive from God.

O God, thank you for love. Thank you for the blessing of marriage. Grant me the wisdom to seek you and love you first, and may the love I find in you bless and multiply the love and joy I share with my wife. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 5:31
31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."
In Context: Ephesians 5:21-33

Proverb for Today: Prov. 12:4a
"A wife of noble character is her husband's crown..."

Recommended Reading:
The Mystery of Marriage
by Mike Mason