Friday, January 23, 2009

January 23 - Come and Worship

Overview of: 2 Chronicles

Today's Reading:
2 Chr. 30:1-27
"Hezekiah's Passover"

Focus Verses: 2 Chronicles 30:8-9
8 Do not be stiff-necked, as your fathers were; submit to the LORD. Come to the sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the LORD your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you. 9 If you return to the LORD, then your brothers and your children will be shown compassion by their captors and will come back to this land, for the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate. He will not turn his face from you if you return to him."

Insight:
With the northern tribes scattered and overrun by Assyria, and the southern Kingdom of Judah on its last leg, King Hezekiah led a campaign to turn Israel back to the Lord. Over the years, as the people of Israel had turned away from God, the observance of their religious festivals and holy days had drifted away. Hezekiah determined to rally people back to God by reinstituting the observance of Passover.

The people answered Hezekiah's call and experienced the largest Passover celebration ever seen since the days of Solomon and David. Though the people did not observe all the practices and traditions of Passover in exact accordance with the Law of Moses, God saw their hearts were turned toward him and so heard their prayers and graciously blessed them with healing and forgiveness.

Response and Action:
Worship is central to turning my heart toward God. Keeping worship a priority in my life will prevent me from turning away from God. Worship is key to spiritual health and spiritual renewal. I will worship to remember, to repent, to rejoice, to make requests, and to give thanks. I will make worship an every day thing; it will center me, remind me, renew me, restore me, refresh me, direct me, and sustain me.

O God, you are great and worthy to be praised. No one can fathom your wonderful ways. One generation will tell to the next the works of the Lord and mighty acts! Every day, every way, I will praise you and extol your name forever and ever. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:1
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
In Context: Romans 12

Proverb for Today: Prov. 23:12
"Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge."

Recommended Reading:
Worship & Celebration
by Janet L. Johnson