Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26 - Greater Power

Overview of: 2 Chronicles

Today's Reading:
2 Chr. 32:1-31
"Jerusalem is Saved"

Focus Verses: 2 Chr. 32:7-8
7 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. 8 With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the LORD our God to help us and to fight our battles." And the people gained confidence from what Hezekiah the king of Judah said.

Insight:
When Jerusalem was threatened by King Sennacherib, Hezekiah turned to God and reminded his people that though Assyria was a mighty power, God was mightier still. Sennacherib was prideful and made the mistake of defaming the God of Israel. Hezekiah was humble and put his faith in the God of Israel. Isaiah the prophet cried out in prayer to God for deliverance, and God came to their rescue.

Response and Action:
God is greater than the things that threaten to destroy me. If I will humble myself before God, and cry out to him in prayer, God is able to deliver. The challenges in life are often too big for me, but they are not too big for God. I will put my faith in God and turn to him for help.

O God, help me to trust in you. When I feel weak and overwhelmed, help me to cling to you in faith. Give me the courage that comes from the belief that you are greater than anything that threatens me. Be my refuge, my strength, my rock, and my salvation. Through Christ Jesus, who is my Savior, my comfort, and my hope, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
In Context: Romans 8:28-39

Proverb for Today: Prov. 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Recommended Reading:
Be Not Afraid
by David Ivaska