Sunday, December 10, 2006

December 10 - Living with Differences

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Joshua 23 - 24
New Testament: Romans 14

Focus Verses: Romans 14:1-5
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Insight:
Some matters are disputable. People of faith may have differing views on what to do and how it should be done when there is no clear "thus sayeth the Lord." Believers may have very different backgrounds, perspectives, freedoms, and weaknesses. These differences can result in and perhaps will require Christians to live out faith their faith in very different ways. In such matters, believers should not judge or look down on each other. Christians should be fully convinced about their own perspectives and convictions and live according to them out of reverence for God.

Response and Action:
I need to be realistic about the fact that some matters are indeed disputable. I need to make sure that my viewpoints and actions are truly being guided by my faith in God and my submission to his will. In disputable matters, I need to graciously respect the viewpoints and actions of others. I need to live my life according to my convictions and grant that same freedom to others.

O God, help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Guide me by your Spirit and by your written word. Help me to live out my faith in my daily life. Give me a humble heart and graciousness toward others who live out their faith differently than I do. Help all of us who follow Christ to be an encouragement to each other. Help us to respect, understand, and forebear each other. In Jesus Name, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 10:14
"Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."

Resources:
Paul for Everyone: Romans: Chapters 9-16
by N.T. Wright