Monday, December 25, 2006

December 25 - Love Is

••••••••••••••••••••
Merry Christmas!

••••••••••••••••••••

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Samuel 11 - 13
N.T. - 1 Corinthians 13

Focus Verses: 1 Cor. 13:4-7
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Insight:
Love is lived out through patience, kindness, contentment, humility, civility, unselfishness, forbearance, and graciousness. Love requires honesty, concern and care for others, and hopeful perseverance.

Response and Action:
I want to be a loving person. The virtues and qualities of love described in these verses help me to see what that means. They also give me some very practical guidelines for self-examination.

O God, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, teach me to love. Help me to clearly see Christ's example and transform my heart and mind that I might follow him more completely each day. Amen.

Proverbs: 25:28
"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control."

Resources:
Love Walked Among Us: Learning To Love Like Jesus
by Paul E. Miller